"When I get sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." - How I Met Your Mother

Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Quest for the Best: LBD

This past weekend I escaped with a girlfriend to Dubai for a weekend of marathon shopping, decadent dining, & cocktail consuming.  In short, it was fabulous.  Although I must be honest and say that shopping is not always fun & can be hard work especially since I was headed to Dubai with a mission:

Find the quintessential, perfect Little Black Dress.

You know what I am talking about ladies; not just any black dress, but  "The ONE."  Let me educate for a hot second...In life I believe there are three "The Ones"; your future spouse, your wedding dress (also known as "THE Dress"), and your little black dress.  The LBD is a woman's secret weapon.  Whenever there is an impromtu event it is her saving grace.  Or an event where she is unsure of the appropriate attire to don, her LBD is the solution.  It is the perfect "suit" for that work-related social function.  Ladies night out, date-night, get-a-date night, and all those other nights in between; the LBD is a gals-go-to, no fail, "I look f*cking fabulous" dress.  The PERFECT LBD hugs every single one of your curves in ALL the right places and hides your every flaw.  It's like photoshop, but in a dress.  Yes, that is the I what I set out to Dubai in seach of.

So off we went to the largest mall in the world with our best gamefaces on. (Side note - my girlfriend was on the hunt for "the Shoe" aka her wedding shoes..but that is another story)  In our quest no brand or designer was left un-turned; from Prada to Valentino, Zara to BCBG, Banana Repbulic to Forever 21.  If a store had a LBD, you best believe I tried it.
I wanted to be Audrey Hepburn a la Breakfast at Tiffany's but alas it seemed like too tall an order.


By the time it was 5pm we had gone into almost every designer, department (and in-between) store they had.  WE.WERE.EXHAUSTED.  There were several great dresses, but none that were JUST Right.  Some did not fit quite right, some were just plain ALL WRONG, others were not timeless enough, and some just did not have that ZA-ZA-ZING.  I thought all hope for this trip was lost.  That is until we came to one final store.  Karen Millen walked into my life for the first time and I could not be happier.  Before trying this dress on, we debated on it.  We thought it was not Audrey enough or maybe it looked a bit cougar-on-the-prowl.  But I decided to try it on anyway.  And I am SO glad I did.

It does not look like much from the picture, but that is the beauty of a LBD.  I put this baby on and I felt instantly transformed.  Like I was Angelina Jolie in Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
Like I could be a sexy, gun-slinging, secret agent.  Or a sophisticated-glamazon like Audrey Hepburn.  I felt instantly confident, sexy, and fabulous.  We had found "THE ONE".

Mission Accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment