"When I get sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." - How I Met Your Mother

Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Adventures in non-american sports part 2

So there is a little something called the World Cup going on in South Africa this month. 


Us Americans tend to be very passionate about football, but not the type of football being played in this tournament.  In fact, if you are living in America you probably have not heard that much about it, unless you hang in a "football" playing crowd (I did when I lived in the states).  Also, ahem, we call the sport SOCCER.

I would say that most Americans have played soccer at some point in our lives (on a recreational team at the very least), know who David Beckham is (not for his soccer playing skills though), but honestly do not follow the professional sport AT ALL.  Some of us may even know this hunk of gorgeous flesh (also not for his soccer playing abilities):

(you are welcome, ladies.) From Emporio Armani

However, since I now live outside of the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, I have come to understand that the World Cup is kind of a big deal to the rest of the world.  It is all ANYONE is talking about over here. ALL.DAY.LONG.  On Sunday everyone I ran into that day asked me if I saw the England vs. US match (not game, but match...remember we aren't in Kansas anymore.) and what I thought about it.

My response:

"World Cup; um, cool, GO USA.  But what I really want to know is, 'How about them Hokies?!' "
And then I kindly showed my British colleagues how USA covers the World Cup: World Cup via The Huffington Post 

America you are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment