Some days just plain suck.
You wake up excited and happy because you think it is Thursday, yet you are horribly wrong. It is in fact Tuesday. At work you feel every second of every slow and painful minute tick by as you try hopelessly to absorb yourself in your job. The office is almost stiffling and deafly quiet except for the clattering of keyboards and the clicking of mice. Which today oddly enough remind you of nails scratching on a chalkboard. All you want to do is go home, but it is not even lunchtime yet. Brutal.
As a recent victim of such a day, I have devised a strategy to help get through it if it ever happens again...
1. Drink lots of water. Hydration will keep you feeling refreshed and awake. It will also help you waste some time by having to frequent the bathroom. (Unintentional side affect - your coworkers may buy you some depends to help with your little "problem")
2. Print out documents from a printer down the hall or across the office. Although it is not the most efficient thing to do it will get you up and moving. Plus by leaving your desk you chance running into a collegue that you can chat up real quick. ("Hey, what awesome activities are you getting into this weekend." or "I hear you are into awesome things, you should check out this blog I've been reading." You know, stuff like that.)
3. Take a "smoke" break. Smoking is bad for you (and it is NOT awesome), but you got to hand it to those people for having an excuse to actually get out of the office for a few minutes every couple of hours to take a break. Seriously genius, minus all the negative health affects and grossness. Instead of going out for a cig, go out for 5 minutes for some fresh air. You will come back feeling like a new person.
4. If you are able, listen to music while you work. Some upbeat tunes could really turn your day around (don't be too embarrissed when you get caught dancing in your seat - been there). If you don't have an I-Pod or radio handy, Pandora is a sick website for streaming music (only go there if streaming media is not prohibited at your place of employment).
5. Send out an SOS e-mail to your coworkers that you are friendly with. They may have a few funny chain e-mail things up their sleeves that can provide you with a few minutes of enjoyment. Try to hide your laughter otherwise people might just think you have gone stir crazy...I did this and my inbox was seriously flooded with hilariousness.
6. Straighten up/reorganize your desk. (You may find the surface of your desk again. Be careful, it is not used to light!)
7. If all else fails, do as Barney Stinson would; "...be awesome instead. True story."
Notting Hill Star Emma Chambers Has Died
1 hour ago